Who We Are
AmeriCorps Builds Lives through Education (ABLE), mobilizes individuals in national service to revive and strengthen educational environments, expanding opportunities for today's youth and transforming America's future - one student, one classroom, and one community at a time.
ABLE partners with various schools and educational programs and members are selected to serve at a specific site based on their skill set and the need of the site. ABLE members implement social/emotional and/or math interventions for K to 12th graders in hopes to increase attendance, class participation, and math scores, as well as decrease disciplinary referrals and suspensions. Members serve full-time and can assist in other aspects of the educational program. While members are serving students, they are growing their own skill sets through hands-on experience, professional development opportunities, and mentorship from teachers and staff.
Partnering with ABLE
AmeriCorps members have proven to be great assets for the ABLE program and its partners over its 14 years of operation. Members have been instrumental in establishing and expanding educational programs offered to students in Western New York.
If you have any questions regarding partnership, please contact Lauren Kalczynski, Director of ABLE Operations & Partnership Development.
Serving with ABLE
Individuals serving in the AmeriCorps Builds Lives through Education (ABLE) program enhance the quality and impact of education of students throughout Western New York. Responsibilities and duties of an ABLE member include:
• There are full-year, six-month and summer opportunities
• Work with students who have been identified by the partner site as needing additional support in math and/or social emotional life skills
• Participate in bi-weekly professional development on topics that focus on building members’ skill sets
• Plan lessons using the evidence-based curriculums, Positive Action and/or DreamBox
• Work with educational leaders to strategize and implement best ways to serve students at partner site
• Participate in monthly professional development